Ten Things You Didn’t Know About Bisexuals
- Bisexual men are 50 percent more likely to live in poverty than gay men
- Bisexual women are more than twice as likely to live in poverty as lesbians
- Bisexual men and women are at least one-third less likely to disclose their sexual identity to their doctors than gays or lesbians
- In comparison with lesbians and gays, bisexuals have a higher lifetime prevalence of sexual victimization.
- Forty percent of LGBT people of color identify as bisexual
- Bisexual women are almost six times more likely than heterosexual women to have seriously considered suicide, and four times more likely than lesbians
- Bisexual men are almost seven times more likely than heterosexual men to have seriously considered suicide, and over four times more likely than gay men
- Bisexual employees are eight times as likely to be in the closet compared to lesbian and gay counterparts
- Fifty-five percent of bisexual employees are not out to anyone at work
- From 2008 to 2012, only $5,000 in grants were awarded to bi-specific projects or bisexual organizations.
[Sources: The Williams Institute, Bisexual Invisibility: Impacts and Recommendations, National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey, Sexual Research and Social Policy]
we’re here, we’re queer and we’re a lot more valid in our anger than you’d like to admit